Sunday, February 3, 2008

Prayer for Week 6 (beginning 2.4.08)

I was recently checking out some websites and found the following statements, which I left unedited:

"i hate christianity, and all the ignorant followers"

"I have a low tolerance for scripture. Zero, in fact."

"I've had enough with Christianity. I've had enough with God."

"i am so sick of religion! the chuirches make it seem like u haved to be all good and read ur bible every day and stuff!!personally i doesnt matter if u go to church!as long as u have a relationship with God u r fine!screw religion!freedom and God is so much better"

"Christian music must be stoped so our children dont have to share our tiny blue planet with a bunch of bible thumping neo-nazi quasi-hippies "praiseing his name" every 4 seconds."

"And as a consumer whore, I have to say that I haven't been given a reason to love Jesus. He's got stiff competition for my spiritual self from people like Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman - at least their literature is readable. Without some winning slogans, a corporate logo and some busty bikini-clad women, Jesus isn't converting me any time soon."


My guess is that you are not surprised. And you shouldn't be. In John 15:18 Jesus said, "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you." Take a moment to think about Jesus...His gentleness...His long suffering...His compassion...His peace...His forgiveness...His strength. Can you imagine NOT knowing Him? Not knowing those things about Him...and what they mean to your life? So many people, like the writers above, do not KNOW the One who loves them beyond measure. They do not KNOW the One they hate.


INTERCESSIONS:
- that God will show His abundant mercy to those who hate Him and persecute His children; that by His gracious salvation they will be reconciled to Him, and that their lives will glorify Him. (For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it. Gal 1:13 AND But they were hearing only, "He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy." And they glorified God in me. Gal 1:23, 24)

- that the people who wrote the above statements will come to KNOW Christ as their Lord and Savior THIS WEEK (And these things [persecution] they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me. John 16:3)

- that Christians will respond in love, compassion and prayer to those who hate them (But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you... Matt 5:44)


BE ENCOURAGED! At church today I watched as many people made the decision to give their lives to Christ...and I was reminded that God is hearing our prayers for our nation!

No comments: